Erbil, Iraqi Kurdistan – Local officials in the city of Kirkuk in northern Iraq stated earlier this week that nine thousand families arrived in the city following the deteriorating security situations in the provinces of al-Anbar, Nineveh and Salahuddin.
The local officials mentioned the deliberations with local and international organizations to establish a camp for these displacing families.
In this regard, a number of meetings took place among the local administration, the provincial council, and some competent departments such as the Migration and Migrants Department as well as United Nations’ organizations such as UNHCR.
Ammar Mohamad, director of Kirkuk office of the Migration and Migrants Ministry, talked about the critical humanitarian conditions of the displaced families as well as their bad economical situations as most of them are unemployed.
“We coordinate with the concerned stakeholders to find these families proper accommodation until the establishment of the camp,” Mohamad said.
“We talked to many humanitarian organizations to provide food and non-food items to these displaced families who live now with hosting families, in mosques, Hussainiats, and even in unfinished venues,” Mohamad said in a press conference on Monday.
Talking to ARA News, Ismael Darwish, engineer and humanitarian worker in the Iraqi Kurdistan, said: “The number of displaced people to Iraqi Kurdistan has been increasing since the start of the armed conflict in Iraq.”
Darwish expressed his concern about the increasing numbers of Arabs in Kirkuk as it may “affect the demographical structure” of Kirkuk that “Kurds have always dreamt about”.
“It may also affect the independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan,” Darwish told ARA News.
Based on the statistics of the Migration and Migrants Ministry in Kirkuk, the number of displaced families from al-Anbar is 5000, Salahuddin 2000, Nineveh 300 families.
Reporting by: Azad Jamkari
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter